Sunday 6 July 2014

Why I love Global Education.

I wasn't well-travelled as a youngster: I first went abroad aged 20, but the world had always fascinated me. I had watched events unfold in South Africa in the early nineties and as soon as I was able I booked a trip out there. I was hooked. Seeing new things, tasting new food, but most of all meeting new people.

As soon as I qualified as a teacher I looked for posts abroad - specifically Africa. I secured a post at Chengelo School in Mkushi, Zambia and worked there during 1997 and 1998.

On my return I was keen to maintain the links I had. At a previous school I secured a Reciprocal Visit grant through the British Council to work with a school in Kitwe in Zambia. The link had an impact in my classroom but as work was not embedded into the whole school curriculum it didn't have the longevity I had hoped for.

My aim from that time has been to develop links which have a lasting impact on our setting. In my current school we are working on ensuring that all of our links are embedded and that all of our pupils benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment